11.21.2008

Sidwell Friends

I'm a firm believer in public schools. Heck, I'm 99% of the way towards teaching in one (someday...let's all cross our fingers that it's someday soon!). I intend to send my kids to public school, and I think we should all pay a few extra bucks in taxes if that's what it takes to make our public schools the super-awesome learning palaces that they should be (and that teachers get paid in accordance with the work they do...but that's a whole other story).

That said, I also believe that the first children should not be in a public school. First, it's probably safer for them to be in a private school, and second, I'm not sure an already overburdened public school needs or wants the extra toll having the highest profile students in the country would place on it.

I'm thrilled, too, that the Obamas have chosen Sidwell Friends for their daughters. I'm a gigantic fan of progressive Quakerism, and I've often thought that if I were to send my kids to a private school (and there are a lot of reason why I am not), I would choose a Quaker school for them. They push compassion, caring, service and inclusion, and who can argue with that?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger